Sunday, October 10, 2010

Statler and Waldorf's Most Excellent Epic Adventure

On one of the fly fishing forums that we both frequent, Marty and I were recently likened to the 2 crusty old farts from the Muppet Show. Remember those guys, sitting up in the balcony, cracking wise and making fun of everyone? I think the guy who made the comparison meant it as an insult, but I definitely took it as a compliment - I mean, those guys were funny!

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be Statler or Waldorf but I guess it doesn't really matter. Anyway, we decided to visit an East slope SNP crick today that was good to us back in the Spring. It didn't disappoint today either. We arrived fairly early and since we had the whole day ahead of us, we decided to jump in at the bottom, right at the Park boundary. I took the opportunity to steal the first pool while Waldorf relieved himself on a nearby tree. It turned out to be a good decision because on the very first cast (no lie) this beast inhaled a Tellico nymph.

It was the best kind of day to be in the Park - comfortable temps for wet wading, really nice water levels and the leaves were just starting to turn.

Cooperative brookies were a bonus. We fished big bushy dry flies most of the day. The takes were kind of a slow roll on the fly and I missed several nice fish before I got the timing down.

I did have to resort to the infamous 'Pink Weenie' in one hole that was too deep for dry flies.

Waldorf got in the act with several big ole brookies too. And he even used his own flies this time.

I still didn't see any redds or fish paired up but it shouldn't be too long now. I hope they give us one more weekend of fishing like this before they start doin' their thing.


We are definitely lucky to have a place like the Shenandoah National Park so close to home. I can't think of a better way to escape the daily grind and dodge the curve balls that life occasionally throws our way - or as Marty once so eloquently described the thought - it's a solution to the daily armpit stink of life.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some huge specks! Beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Statler: - That is one great site!
    Waldorf: - Looks a little fishy to me!
    S&W: - Ha Ha Ha !!

    ReplyDelete