Thursday, March 8, 2012

How to properly "match the hatch"

1.  Start by picking a destination. Try to pick a place that has some bugs and fish that like to eat them.


2.  Take the time to look around and enjoy the outdoor experience.

  
 
3.  Locate some emerging insects.  In this case it's some kind of stonefly and an Epeorus pleuralis mayfly (Quill Gordon to the layperson).


4.  Locate something in your fly box that's similar in size and color to one of the bugs you observed and tie it to your leader.


5.  Cast the imposter to unsuspecting fish and catch a bunch of them.  You've now successfully "matched the hatch" - even though the fish are so innocent you would have caught them on anything.





7 comments:

  1. A match well made.
    That brookie photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos all around. Making me excited about getting up into the SNP this weekend, hopefully weather will be good. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY nice! I'm hittn' it again this weekend.

    The Average Joe Fisherman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics and nice blog. I look forward to following this one. I've only fished the Shenandoah Valley once. I loved it. I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great photos and very helpful blog. South holston river fishing is such a wonderful experience for me last two years ago. I want to try to fish here after visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photos! I really love it here!

    ReplyDelete