1. Start by picking a destination. Try to pick a place that has some bugs and fish that like to eat them.
2. Take the time to look around and enjoy the outdoor experience.
3. Locate some emerging insects. In this case it's some kind of stonefly and an Epeorus pleuralis mayfly (Quill Gordon to the layperson).
4. Locate something in your fly box that's similar in size and color to one of the bugs you observed and tie it to your leader.
5. Cast the imposter to unsuspecting fish and catch a bunch of them. You've now successfully "matched the hatch" - even though the fish are so innocent you would have caught them on anything.